Are Farm Sheds Exempt from getting Council Approval?

Contrary to popular belief, not all farm sheds are exempt from having to get approval from council for their new rural farm shed. In most cases, your trusty Ahrens Steel Building distributor will have the knowledge and expertise to advise you on any applications that might be required of you.

In the case that they are not sure, we recommend contacting your local council or building certifier to see what is required.

Buildings that may not require approval

Usually a farm shed that is a pre-engineered steel building for Agricultural applications will be exempt. However, other factors will come into play, such as the size of the building, other dwellings surrounding it and distance from boundaries.

Farm Buildings that do require Council Approval

If the steel building you are planning to build on your farm is for housing cars, going to be used as a workshop or as a temporary liveable dwelling, chances are it won’t be an exempt development regardless of the size of your property.

If in doubt, it is always best to check with your local council or building certifier. Assembling a building without the required permissions could lead to heft fines.

For more information on Ahrens Steel Buildings range of Farm Sheds and Equine Buildings please contact your local distributor.

2018-12-04T09:53:21+11:00January 7th, 2017|Categories: Council Requirements, Farm Sheds|

About the Author: